Even though the weather might not feel like it right now, fall is right around the corner, and that means it’s time to start thinking about winterizing your pool and closing it for the season (so sad, I know). On the bright side, whether you enjoy an in-ground or above-ground pool during during the warm months, we’ve got all the winterization products you’ll need to maintain your pool during the winter. Winterizing your above-ground pool has lots of benefits. It not only keeps your pool and pool equipment safe so you can enjoy it for seasons to come; it also makes set-up in the spring quicker and easier. Just a few easy steps can keep your pool in great shape for the winter.
2. Backwash your filter
3. Plug up any pipes and your skimmer
4. Disconnect your pump and filter, and make sure your pump is totally drained of any water. Remove any drain plugs. (Tip: store any small plugs or parts in the pump basket so you can find them easily in the spring, and then store it in your shed or garage.)
5. (Optional step) Remove the skimmer box and install a winter plate with gaskets. If you choose to take this step, make sure it doesn’t leak.
6. Blow-up and install your air pillow. Air pillows are a great winterization technique because if your pool water freezes, it can expand, and that can cause your pool wall to break. Air pillows work by taking up the slack. Tie your air pillow so it’s in the middle of your pool.
7. Remove all your deck equipment like ladders, rails, slides, etc., and store them in a safe place like a shed or garage.
8. Add chemicals. Mix your winterization chemicals in a bucket so that they are totally dissolved before you dump them into your pool. Undissolved granules will sink to the bottom of your pool and can stain your liner. Test your pool for pH and total alkalinity (pH should be between 7.2-7.6 and alkalinity should be between 100-150 ppm.)
9. The last step to winterizing your above-ground pool is to place your cover on your pool and secure it. Make sure that it’s securely fastened and that your air pillow has not moved. Pool covers are a great way to protect your pool from the weather, as well as, for keeping leaves and debris out even during pool-season. They are also a great safety feature for families with small children. We carry pool covers for round and oval above-ground pools.